+ Reply to Thread

Thread: "I'm xxxxxxx and I'm an alcoholic" requirement?

"I'm xxxxxxx and I'm an alcoholic" requirement?

So, I've been in a few meetings where someone started sharing without saying, "I'm so-and-so, and I'm an alcoholic." And someone (usually the same person) had the audacity to interrupt the person to tell them to introduce themselves. :eek: What's up with that? There's no requirement that says you have to introduce yourself or say you're an alcoholic every time you speak. In fact from what I've read, when that started becoming a common thing it was quite controversial.

Now, don't get me wrong I don't have a problem with introducing ourselves like that. I think it somewhat promotes feelings of unity and sameness (read: opposite of uniqueness) and saying "I'm an alcoholic" enough just might help someone actually believe themselves when they say it. However, it is NOT a requirement, and I have a hard time believing that someone would actually think interrupting someone while they're sharing is less of an evil than the person not introducing themselves in the first place. :livid:

OK, rant over. Comments anyone?
    Sober by the grace of God since Feb. 6, 2010
    Que sera, sera.
    May God bless you and keep you as you trudge the Road of Happy Destiny,
    Jesse

That always annoys me to,the part about getting interupted when You forget todo a intro.
    I read,in the Grape Vine, a story about a real old oldtime that had to have some help getting up to the microphone,He was going to be the speaker at some big convention of some sort,and He had just spent several hours flying to get to the convention so I suppose He was already a bit tired,He was also very hard of hearing,Anyhow, affer He got on the stage and before the microphone and crowd,He just started speaking without doing the Im so n so etc. and some of the people in the crowd chanted "Who Are You ? " He would stop speaking and could not hear what the crowd was saying,He started speaking again and them people again chanted the "Who are You ? ",well needless to say that after several more tries of starting to tell His story and getting the same results He finally got frustrated and walked off the stage without saying another word,needless to say I think the old man would have been in tears by then.
    If I am in a meeting and I hear her cut someone off because they forgot to do a intro then I will wait until the person that had/has the floor finishes with their speeel and then I will do a intro and tell that story.
    "NOTICE" I may have some of the facts of the afore mentioned story mixed up,out of place or completely out of context,so to those of You whooom dont unnerstand,it is because I am a alkeeeeholik and I just tell it to the best of My rememerances.
    If anyone has a referance to that story then please post it up just for our own personal information and so We can get it all straightened out in our heads..LOL

poster mas voluminous
    This might be another item to put in the next edition of the supplemental instructions to chairpeople which the WE CARE group uses. Thanks for the idea. It never bothered me much, but I can see why some people find it offensive. Maybe I'll get an opinion and become unpopular . Anyway, thanks for bringing it up.

I was on here looking for a way to announce the group's inventory at noon Sunday, but as usual, I am having difficulty navigating around this site. I sent an e*mail which I hope you regulars at least received. Check your address and see if I have the right one you prefer.

Best, L.

Good one Lance.
    I do know one person that used todo the intro and I`m a Alcoholic but He got Jesus in His life and feels that He is completely healed but He still wo`nt fo out and test the waters.
    as for me,I could go without the intro but then after doing the intro I feel that it "Gives" a person the floor without{usually without}any inturreptions from other members.

poster mas voluminous
    That last is the main reason I really appreciate sticking to the habit of saying it with every word I speak.
    I regularly get cute and want to pop into a speakers time with a one liner or joke. Going through the routine of saying that I'm Lance and an alcoholic makes that joke seem less significant plus the timing is off by the time I go through the formality.
    The problem with not insisting on the practice is that people like me tend to get into conversations about something of interest to a couple of us leaving the majority out in the cold. If I have to establish that I have the floor before each comment in a conversation, the conversation becomes quite tedious and we can get back to simply stating our view of the topic today with no comment or judgement by the others in the room.

After all, whatever a sincere person says in an AA meeting seems true to them today, and is a valid point to be made without advice or comment from me.

And if a person just forgets or is new enough that the habit is not established, then I agree completely that pointing out his failure is needless. About the 10th time a overtalkative person has to introduce himself, he starts to see that he might be preventing less aggressive people from speaking their minds and learning from it. In fact, those others frequently are so tired of hearing the blabbermouth that they don't get anything from what he says anyway as they wait for a chance to say their thing.

I too,when someone else has the floor,think of all sorts of cute comments.keeping My mouth shut until it is My turn to have the floor usually silences those cute comments and puts My mind back on track of the topic needing addresssed.
    I too,try and keep My comments to one session and give the other people in the room a chance to speak what is on their mind,even the blabbermouths.LOL

.......those others frequently are so tired of hearing the blabbermouth that they don't get anything from what he says anyway" HAH! I like the way you just tell it like it is, Lance!

Quote Originally Posted by Freebird View Post
    .......those others frequently are so tired of hearing the blabbermouth that they don't get anything from what he says anyway" HAH! I like the way you just tell it like it is, Lance!
    Me too.

+ Reply to Thread